Tuesday, July 19, 2005

"Back to the books...

What is all the rage about with this guy - Harry Potter? Would you care to see Harry Potter? Visit Harry Potter's Store?? OK, so now you've seen him. Will you stand in line to buy him?

I have been asked a lot; I mean several people have asked me, what about Harry Potter? One actually asked, did you know the Pope is against Harry Potter? I must confess - I didn't know that. I seem to remember something about the Pope not getting on to well with a King, but that was a long time ago. Surely they have patched things up by now.

Most of us can recall some moments of near magic in our childhood. We knew the monsters under our bed, on a rainy day, were not real. We scared each other with ghost stories. Those times to me seemed unreal in a delightful way. I have another confession; and I'm not Catholic, but I still make up stories to scare my grandchildren. They squeak and squeal and run away; then they do just what I did at their age. They run back and start begging for another story. In your minds eye you can see their faces shining with excitement. Do you see them?

It is true that as children we have trouble separating fact from fantasy. We tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We are more forgiving, and yes - we can't see the bad hidden in others. As adults we have the responsibility to protect children until they mature enough to protect themselves. It is the responsibility of adults to supervise the child, and keep them from harmful books, movies, etc. One last confession, I still love Mother Goose Rhymes.

T-Bone

1 comment:

Michele said...

I read the first 2 Potter books with my son, and found nothing alarming in them. My son had no interest in reading the others or viewing the movies.

I also taught 3rd grade when the books first came out, and I have to say it was refreshing to see kids wanting to read. The works are good, stimulate the imagination, and I think all little girls, fall in love with Harry.

ID RATHER THE KIDS READ POTTER BOOKS THAN TO WITNESS THE RUDE BEHAVIOR OF C. SHUMMER, T. KENNEDY, AND PELOSI ON TV, WHICH REALLY EXPOSES THEM TO BAD MANNERS.
THIS IS MUCH MORE HARMFUL.