Friday, July 03, 2009

Celebrating in July

It's the 4th!!!

Somewhere in the park... I know it was the 4th of July... I saw my first fireworks. All the children had been told about our nation's birthday in school and at home. But this was different.

Family and friends had brought their favorite picnic foods. They wore their Sunday best. Everyone I knew from the neighborhood was there, and several I had never seen before had come from miles away to celebrate this special day, in the 40's.

That night I joined the other children in laughing, while I watched some adult men and women wipe away tears. Still, today, I have mixed emotions on our country's birthday.

Peggy Noonan reports today:
"Almost two years ago, I was lucky enough to tour Mount Vernon with a dozen people including him. (If I were David McCullough I would know the date and time. But I know the weather.) At the bottom of a stairway leading to the second floor, we chatted for a moment, and I asked him how he accounted in his imagination for the amazing fact of the genius cluster that founded our nation. How did so many gifted men, true geniuses, walk into history at the same time, in the same place, and come together to pursue so brilliantly a common endeavor? "I think it was providential," he said, simply."

I agree with David McCullough and Peggy Noonan. Providence did it. "One nation, under God."

Here is an old news clip from the days of my youth. Be patient until the children sing.
(VIDEO)

Men and women are still fighting for their INDEPENDENCE. God bless America!!!

2 comments:

Ty Epling said...

Comments will be moderated

T-bone said...

Contributions of opinions are welcomed and will be posted after review.